Ælling 2 held a single manor in south Somerset assessed at just under ½ hide and worth 10s.
Distribution map of property and lordships associated with this name in DB
List of property and lordships associated with this name in DB
Holder 1066 DB Spelling
Holder 1066 ID conf.
Show on map Somerset
Ælling 'of Cary'
Robert of Gatemore
The Cary identifiable from its 1086 tenant-in-chief as Cary Fitzpaine was recorded in GDB as held by two unnamed thegns. Exon gives further details in two separate entries which largely confirm one another. The main Exon entry (443b1) says that the two thegns held jointly (pariter), names them as Ælling (Alinc) and Leofing (Louincus), and adds explicitly that ‘Ælling held one half (medietas) & Leofing the other half’. That encourages the inference that the assessment (1 hide less 1 ferding) and value (20s. in 1086) were split equally between them. The other Exon entry (515a3), without naming either thegn, confirms that they held jointly (pariter), each with ½ hide less ½ ferling, but gives the value of one of them as 7s. 6d.
Cary Fitzpaine formed the south-eastern part of the later parish of Charlton Mackrell, and had its own field system and common pastures (VCH Som. III, 95–110). The details of its assessment and TRE tenure indicate a connection with the two other holdings called Cary (the later manors of Lytes Cary and Tuckers Cary alias Lower Lytes Cary), which occupied the south-western part of Charlton Mackrell (VCH Som. III, 95–110). One of the two paid tax on 1 hide and 1 ferding, dovetailing with the 1 hide less 1 ferding of Cary Fitzpaine. It was held jointly TRE by two brothers, Ordric and Leofing, the other Cary (2 hides) being held jointly by Leofing alone (Som. 45:1–2; Exon 479b1–2, 517b1–2). It looks very much as if Leofing was the older brother. Given that Ælling shared his final name-element and held an identical share of Cary Fitzpaine with him, it is likely that he was another of Leofing’s brothers.
VCH Som. III: The Victoria History of the Counties of England: A History of the County of Somerset, III, ed. R. W. Dunning (London: Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research, 1974)