Perle 2 was a small landowner in west Somerset whose only manor, of ½ hide worth 10s., was named after him.
Distribution map of property and lordships associated with this name in DB
List of property and lordships associated with this name in DB
Holder 1066 DB Spelling
Holder 1066 ID conf.
Show on map Somerset
Perle 'of Pardlestone'
Roger de Courseulles
Norman 'of Littleton'
The name Perle occurs only once in DB. The name is spelled Perlo in GDB, as in Exon (Exon 428a4), but the final –o in Exon’s spellings often represents –e or –a, and in any case we know that this man was called Perle because his estate at Pardlestone was named after him, Perlestune in GDB.
Pardlestone was added to the neighbouring manor of Kilve after the Conquest, along with the adjoining manor of Hill (Som. 21:47), and it is easy to see from the parish boundaries of Kilve as they were in the nineteenth century (Kain and Oliver 2001: no. 32/231) how the later parish was composed of the three formerly separate manors. Pardlestone in fact remained a separate component of the manor of Kilve for several. It comprised a long narrow strip of land stretching up from the coastal zone occupied by Kilve and Hill towards the heights of the Quantocks centuries (VCH Som. V, 96, 100), with land for 1 plough and small quantities of meadow, pasture, and woodland. The holding was assessed at ½ hide and worth 10s. in 1066. It was essentially a single large farm with a handful of dependent tenants. Its naming after Perle perhaps implies that the holding was newly created in his lifetime. Exon says that Perle held Pardlestone jointly (pariter) but there is no evidence to identify his partner there.
Kain and Oliver 2001: Roger J. P. Kain and Richard R. Oliver, Historic Parishes of England & Wales: An Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata (Colchester: History Data Service, 2001)
VCH Som. V: The Victoria History of the Counties of England: A History of the County of Somerset, V, ed. R. W. Dunning (London: Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research, 1985)