Brun 25 was a small landowner in the southern part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, with a single holding of ½ carucate among the sokelands of Earl Harold’s manor of Conisborough. Brun himself was probably a king’s thegn.
Distribution map of property and lordships associated with this name in DB
List of property and lordships associated with this name in DB
The three small rural estates in Yorkshire entered with the name Brun were too far apart for it to be at all likely that they belonged to the same person.
Brun 25 is mentioned in connection with Clifton, which was attached to Earl Harold’s great soke centre of Conisborough, a mile from the latter on the relatively fertile limestone belt. The main entry for Conisborough notes only that there were 3 carucates of sokeland at Clifton and gives their resources in 1086 (Yorks. 12W:1, 3), but DB’s list of Claims in the West Riding shows that 4 bovates at Clifton were actually held by Brun and 2 carucates by Siward, omitting the other 4 bovates because they had not been in dispute (Yorks. CW:7–8). Brun’s land had come into the hands of William de Warenne, lord of Conisborough in 1086, but were adjudged by the men of Strafforth wapentake to belong to the king’s demesne (ad opus regis in dominio). Warenne had succeeded to Earl Harold’s rights at Conisborough (and indeed the wapentake adjudged Siward’s land at Clifton to be his, against a claim by Roger de Busli), so the judgement probably means that Brun had been a king’s thegn who happened to hold land which was attached to Harold’s soke centre.
The DB spelling Brune probably means that Brun 25 had the variant of the name conventionally spelled Bruna.